“Always Free and Worth Every Penny”
Since I don’t have much else to do, I diligently read every single comment I get about Friday Thoughts – even if I don’t respond to all of them…..yet each week I inadvertently manage to offend someone in some way – though I have lapsed in my pokes at Canadians or Clemson graduates….
A few months ago when I took a swipe at Nancy Pelosi, I was accused of being an extreme right wing Tea Party 1% neo-obstructionist Neanderthal…..and a few weeks later damned as a far left wing bleeding heart liberal communist Occupy Wall Street sympathizer because I took a cheap shot at Fox News ……
I recently received some highly insightful feedback on how I could dramatically improve the quality and value for both of the loyal Friday Thoughts readers ….
“Hey, why don’t you save us all some time and pain and cut out all that blathering prose you produce each week in Friday Thoughts?? Just give us the Interesting Unrelated Facts?? It’s all people read any way.
The least you could do is put them at the top so we don’t have to go through the trouble of scrolling past the crap that fell out of your Right Wing Republican brain on Friday morning”
Maybe he has a point – here you go:
Interesting unrelated facts:
- Wells Fargo maintains two ATMs at the McMurdo Station in Antarctica. Good news – no fees! (Contributed by Daniel)
- The % of Americans who do not pay federal income taxes jumped from 14.8% in 1984 to 49.5% in 2009. Could this be true? Source: Heritage Foundation
- Hawaii has three Interstate Highways – think about it for a minute.
- People complete over 200 million Captcha authentications each day – Did you know that every time you fill a two word ReCaptcha you are contributing to book digitization? You and 750 million people have helped digitize 2 ½ million books. Great TED Talk
- A New type face “dyslexie” has been developed to help the 4-8% of the population with dyslexia read faster and more accurately. Very cool.
- The World Series of Beer Pong – Game VII (notice the Roman numerals !!) was held in Las Vegas in January and had a $50,000 Grand Prize. Pong Beer was recently launched – and you can also buy floating beer pong table.
- Recent research indicates that roughly 500,000 jobs have been created as part of the “App Economy” since the launch of the iPhone in 2007.
- Happy Birthday! Mr. Potato Head is now 60 years old. The original idea of using actual fruits and vegetables was stopped in 1964 because new U.S. safety standards required smaller prongs that could not puncture real food. Mr. Potato Head lost his pipe in 1987 when he became the and official ‘spokespud’ of the American Cancer Society’s Great American Smokeout. Over 100 million have been produced.
- Hot stocks for 2012 YTD:
** Past performance is no guarantee of future performance**
- Word of the week Hemidemisemiquaver – a sixty-forth note – dare you to use that one in a meeting today…. Or say it after a beer pong tournament.
- The population of Egypt is 10 times that of Israel – Population of countries in the Middle East (millions).
- Egypt – 80
- Iran – 75
- Iraq – 32
- Saudi Arabia – 27
- Yemen – 24
- Syria – 22
- Israel – 7.9
- UAE – 4.7
- Lebanon – 4.2
- Palestinian territories – 3.9
- Kuwait – 3.0
- Origin of the term honeymoon - there are two theories:
1) The Norse word “hjunottsmanathr” means “in hiding” when men would abduct their bride and hide until they were pregnant of their families stopped the search.
2) In ancient Babylonia father-in-laws supplied their new son-in-laws with honey wine for a month because it was believed to enhance the fertility of the new couple.
Have a great weekend !!